Saturday, May 8, 2010

Online Safety List

Disclaimer: As always, remember that these lists are only my personal opinions as to people who seem to be tweeting about the topic mentioned and don't reflect Intel's endorsement in any way.
The online safety list is the clique primarily responsible for making me a better person on twitter. These are the people was are activists on twitter attempting to get people to understand the security and privacy risks of online behavior both for themselves and for their children.

If you follow these people you will get:
  1. specific advice on various internet activities,
  2. what risks they may expose you to,
  3. things to do to mitigate those risks,
  4. and support for doing the right thing.
Typical topics include:
  1. phishing and spam attacks
  2. cyberbullying
  3. sexting
  4. oversharing

Of course, not everyone on this list tweets about the above topics all the time, but many of them have it as their primary focus. Like many clique's we often "Follow Friday" each other. Since even just checking out the recommendations I receive on Fridays doesn't fit in that one day, I decided to make this list up of these friends. (It has only taken me two months to actually get this to the point that I'm ready to share it, despite being on the top of my to-do list each weekend in that time period.)

Note that this list is not a one-time thing. I will add to it as more people are recommended to me. This list also doesn't even include eveyone talking about online safety. In particular, there are some very good advice givers that aren't advocates in the traditional sense and who aren't included on the list. Some of the commercial anti-virus vendors have very good advice sections, but they aren't on this list at its inception. I'll take suggestions on whether that should change.

I also have two other related lists:
  1. security-all is a list of the people who tweet about online security (more generally, not just advocates)
  2. parenting is a list of the people who tweet about parenting issues
All of these lists are simply those that I have found and am following so far.

I always take recommendations, just tweet me @intel_chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment