Thursday, May 5, 2011

Keeping Twitter Social

As always just my own thoughts and not related to Intel, and definitely not "official" in any way shape or form.


Old news is sometime new news. Today I read the following tweet about #FollowFriday (or #FF for short).


Since #FF is one of my favorite things on Twitter, almost as important to me as Retweeting, I read with intense interest. If you want to take the time to read it now, feel free, I'll still be here when you are done.

In some ways, the article made me proud, over my short stay on twitter I had definitely taken the time to do the "introductory" style tweets rather than the blanket #FF list of people without explanation kinds. Moreover, I had written a couple of blog posts (e.g. this list of my twitter mentors) where I gave more extended explanations.

However, it also made me embarassed. Recently, I have been somewhat lazy in my approach to #FollowFriday and often just let myself by with just the RT or Thx to the #FF lists I've been on. That's too close to the "Thank you for the wonderful 'crock pot' letter." one sends when one gets a gift one doesn't know what to do with. My friends deserve better than that.

As I result, I realized that I felt mostly confused. Twitter is a social network. Engagement is a big part of that. It's also a tough thing for an introvert like me and certainly not a natural thing. I am totally jealous of those who can pass around the waves and hugs and touch base with people in way that is both sincere and casual at the same time.

And, while some might look at that traffic filled with a quick pleasantry but mostly names as spammy, it clearly is part of the touch that reminds people we are thinking of them. Therein lies the conundrum. Several of the #FF lists I get on a relatively regular basis are simply my friends staying in touch. It is a nice gesture. It feels good to get those lists. It helps me feel part of a community. Of course, it also sometimes reminds me that there are people I haven't chased down in my stream as much as I would like.

So, I know that RTing of Thx for those lists is probably cluttering some peoples streams on Fridays (and into Saturday and Sunday sometimes). Moreover, it isn't a substitute for real engagement. I also know that those lists are certainly not getting anyone any new followers.

However, all that is ok. It is still a way to stay in touch with my friends. When I can, I do find ways to engage them at that next level. Still, hopefully, in the meantime these #FF lists serve to remind us, if ever so fleetingly, of people that have been important in our stream, and to occasionally prompt us to do more than just remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment